Friday 9 May 2014

Mt Buller to Kyneton

Closing the door behind me for the last time at SkiLib ends another summer season of mountain biking on Mt Buller. It's a beautiful sunny day as I drive down the hill to Merrijig where Delvy is waiting. It takes me longer than anticipated to transfer all the gear from the Subaru to the bus; clothes, bikes and gear, some food. What more does one need really? Engine checks reveal a fair bit of water is required in the radiator so I contact my mobile mechanic (Gary, husband in W.A) to keep him aware of the situation. I eventually leave Ted and Jen's place around 11am and head to Mansfield to fuel up. Feeling a little daunted, I soon start to relax a little as I listen to the soothing tunes of Cam Tapp and head towards the Macedon Ranges.
It's much easier to have a co-pilot when driving a heavy vehicle; someone to pass you a drink or snack, change the music, adjust the interior temperature, and provide general commentary on the passing scenery. Still, I manage to get by without running off the road, and take in the vistas of freshly greened farming land scattered with cattle and sheep, and the many galahs and parrots grazing along the roadside edges. The tail end of autumn is still providing splashes of red, orange and yellow in contrast with the dusty green leaves of large eucalypts.
It was nice to be greeted by a friendly face and a hot cup of tea in Kyneton, after my first big drive without my traveling buddy! I'm looking forward to spending time exploring the area on the bikes with Steve & Alex, as well as popping into the big city on the train for a day or two. All a bit of a novelty after living on top of a mountain for six months! Best rummage around for some town clothes.


No comments:

Post a Comment