Wednesday 19 November 2014

School reunion

It's been 30 years since I completed Year 10 at Bathurst High School: 28 since accomplishing the holy grail; the HSC. I was looking forward to eying my old class mates again. I missed the 10 and 20 year get together as I was living in some far away place; but wasn't really fussed about it either. This time though I was happy to go back in time. Plus I had the means to get there too. Overall I enjoyed my school years; there were some good and fun people there. There were also a couple of bullies that liked to make one's life miserable, but generally the good times out weighed the bad. Playing sport and escaping to the top floor library kept me sane, and I did enjoy some of the engaging teachers and the lessons they delivered. Each student has different memories of school life, and their own perception of others, so there was some trepidation amongst us as we began to gather in the City of Bathurst. (Australia's oldest inland city for that matter!)

Bathurst High School

The weekend festivities were kicked off on the Friday by myself and Gavin, our school captain, with a ride from Eglinton to Perthville on the MTB's. The afternoon was hot, dry and windy so refreshments were required on the return journey at The Church Bar. A handful gathered there  afterwards, but I headed over to stay the night with my Welsh friends.

Gavin and me out on our MTB's
Many more former Bathurst High students gathered for the school tour on the Saturday afternoon, and many more again for the evening 'do' at the Oxford Hotel (a somewhat insalubrious venue back in the 80's). Curiosity was simmering and uneasiness gave way to genuine delight at seeing old faces: most for the first time in 30 years. Some people had not changed in looks at all: others unrecognisable, until you looked closely, at their eyes; they never change.

School tour underway
"This is weird", many voiced. "So strange". But the awkward moment was indeed just that; a moment. The room was soon filled with laughter, wonder and continuous chatter of much reminiscing and catching up. It really was like stepping back in time: we just all looked a little older. People fundamentally remain the same over the years; so it was a great pleasure to reconnect with old friends, even though many years have passed it seemed a little like yesterday. Same sense of humour, same outlook on life, same personality. We all (about 70 of us) decided to not wait another 10 years before catching up again. I look forward to it!


I stayed the night with one of only two girls I remained in touch with since leaving school, who lives up the road from our old family home in Eglinton. It's always a relaxing visit, amongst all the animals.


Off to Newcastle next!

No comments:

Post a Comment